Search The HERO

Custom Search

Friday, December 26, 2008

Remembering my Everyday Heroes

"My mother", "my father", "my pastor", "my friend", "my wife", "my husband", the Street sweeper are proudly identified as everyday heroes of those who are close to theirs hearts or those who have been touched by their very act of kindness and generosity. Many of those I have asked point to their mother as "Everyday Hero". I guessed this does not come as a surprise to you for every mother of the house in every part of the world -- the mother, plays a significantly special role in the family. She is the "Light of the house," that gives direction to her children. Making sure that her children would grow healthy in body and soul. For many, the mother provides a household support by preparing the best food that anyone can eat. I remember my office mate humbly telling me that his mother does boil water for him to use when taking a bath so that he does not get cough or colds. That she is always asking him if he has done taking dinner after the day's work. More so, she keeps a viand for him to eat whenever my office mate comes home late at night. I remember my late Ima ("mother" for a local dialect), who was doing exactly the same thing for me and my sibling. Not only was my mother good in preparing food, she was keen in instilling moral values. She thought us to always do right and avoid doing wrong to others. Most of all, she was my confidant in terms of matter of the heart. She was there to give me a push when I was losing courage to say my heart's intent to the person I was feeling in-loved with. She would even prepare some food which I was bringing along with me to give to the girl. There is nothing my mother would not do nor fail to do to help me in any way possible to win the love of my life then. She was always there ready at all times and never grew tired of doing the same thing everyday. Not a word of complain ever whispered nor spoken in the four corners of our home. She was on call 24 hours a day and seven days a week. I am very proud and blest to have my mother. I actually missed her so much. Deep in my heart, she will always be one of my "Everyday Heroes".

The other everyday hero of my life is my Tatang ("father" for a local dialect), who was very gentle and loving. Whenever I asked him of any food either in the refrigerator or on the table, he would always say, "it is yours to eat". There was nothing that was not mine, whenever I asked him. He does the same thing with my siblings. That is why whoever asked him first gets the prize. Not only was my father a good provider. He was also our first teacher in religion. He thought everyone of us to pray and the one who inspired me to enter the religious life after college. He led me have a devotion to "Apung Mamacalulu" at
Apu Chapel where the shrine of the Our Lord of the Holy Sepulcher (Apung Mamacalulu) is housed. My father and I, together with my older brother, paid our homage to the shrine every Friday. This experience opened me to a life of prayer that guided me to live a religious life. Though I did not become a religious priest, I am still very grateful to my late father who was always available then to listen to my challenges until I finished my Theological studies in one of the schools in Quezon City. He was the father to me to the end and to keep his name, I have named my son after him.

Up to this date, my late parents are my everyday heroes for they continue to inspire me of the experiences they have both shared and lived with us. I missed them both. If both were still alive, I would tell them, "Ima, Tatang, you are my Everyday Heroes. For you, whose parents are still with you, I invite you tell them, "Ima, Tatang, you are my Everyday Heroes."

No comments:

Post a Comment